WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog

WELCOME to Nest by Tamara blog
Hi- It's Tamara. I'm happy you've stopped by, and since 2010 I've been sharing my passion for interior design, history, art, entertaining, travel & fashion. I am an interior designer, textile designer and writer living and working in New York City and East Hampton, Long Island. My musings have taken me to international design, art, antique and epicurean events and I have lots to share. I'm grateful to have been listed as the #1 top design blog, blogs to watch, top design blogs and named and awarded Rising Star of Design by the IFDA NY industry organization. Please feel free to reach out to our team for an interior design consultation at NestbyTamara.com -Tamara

LUCKY SEVEN: Nest by Tamara's Top Metal Smith-Inspired Pieces For The Home

metal sculpture by James DeMartis
You may have read my feature story about artist and blacksmith James DeMartis in Dan's Papers magazine.  After spending time in his workshop, I came away with a deeper appreciation for the artistry of metal work.  It is refreshing to note the look of metal smithing on furniture and lighting is now quite popular in the design industry.

James DeMartis in his workshop 
in Springs, East Hampton. 
Today, I bring you my favorite 7 metalwork-inspired pieces for the home.  Some of them are brand new collections, while others have been around a bit, but all noted are exemplary of the beautiful trend honoring well made hand-crafted detailed metal smith work.  These 7 have landed on my design desk and made my short list of "must haves" for new projects this year.  All of them would stand alone as a statement piece in a room, but would also blend well, are versatile and ultimately add to a well designed home.   As I contemplate my trip to Highpoint's Fall Furniture Market this week, I expect to be spotting more of this trend, so please stop back soon for more  on this subject.  
Happy Nesting
XO Tamara
1. This stunning console from Ambella Home caught my interest.  I like the aged feel of the mercury glass finish.  Since they are one of my sponsors for Fall Market, I look forward to taking in an up-close view at what the creative team will debut at Market. Please stop back for my recap. 
2. Carole Gratale's Royere-inspired coffee table
is divine.  It boasts a brass frame with stainless steel and brass detailing. The design is both intricate and modern at once.  I like that the table would work well in a variety of settings.
photo via Newel for Architectural Digest 
3. Channeling the style of French architect and designer Rateau, Carole Gratale's Bronze Palm console is exquisite.  It shows the finest quality metal detailing and refinement.  This is part of Gratale's new 7-piece collection launched with Newel Gallery in New York City.  The select pieces show the utmost in attention to detail and craftsmanship.  For more information about the capsule collection, please read the feature in Architectural Digest magazine.  
4. Bernhardt's Elsa Console shows a popular repeating quatrefoil design and detail.  This piece will debut at Market on October 17th.  Since Bernhardt is also a sponsor of mine to attend Market, I'll be covering their entire collection here on the blog.
5. Palacek's Metal Scallop Shell Mirror
is made of steel and wire and finished in antique gold with a beveled mirror.  While it is quite unique, I like the classic frame. 
6. Currey & Co.'s Fantine chandelier 
has a glamorous crackle mercury glass finish.  This is a prime example of metal and mirror combined.
7. Baker's Trefle Side Table is a modern interpretation of a vase from Jacques Garcia's personal collection. While it is not brand new, it is gorgeous and worth noting.  Pinched at the middle, it would provide a sexy silhouette and shimmer to a room.